Athletes and Entertainers (P-Visa)
What is the P Visa
The P visa is generally for athletes and entertainment groups. P-1 status allows foreign nationals who have earned international recognition to visit the United States temporarily to compete in an athletic event, either individually or as part of a team. P-1 status is also available for entertainment groups who will perform in the United States. P-2 status is appropriate for reciprocal exchange entertainment groups. P-3 status is available for entertainment groups who provide culturally unique performances.
Requirements for an P Visa
In order to apply for an P visa you must show:
- Entertainers must be performing as part of a group, not individually
- Entertainment group must be internationally recognized
- International recognition can be shown by a significant international award or prize for outstanding achievement in its field or, in the alternative, satisfying three of the following criteria:
- Evidence that the group has performed, and will perform, as a starring or leading entertainment group in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation, as documented by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity releases, publications, contracts, or endorsements;
- Evidence that the group has achieved and earned international recognition and acclaim for outstanding achievement, as documented by reviews in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other published material;
- Evidence that the group has performed, and will perform, services” as a starring or leading group for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation, as documented by articles in newspapers, trade journals, publications, or testimonials;
- Evidence that the group has a record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes, as evidenced by such indicators as ratings; standing in the field; box office receipts; record, cassette, or video sales; and other achievements in the field as reported in trade journals, major newspapers, or other publications;
- Evidence of significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field,where the “testimonials must be in a form which clearly indicates the author’s authority, expertise, and knowledge of the alien’s achievements,” similar to the testimonials or affidavits discussed below; or
- Evidence that the group has either commanded a high salary or will command a high salary or other substantial remuneration for services comparable to others similarly situated in the field as evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence
How an Immigration Lawyer Can Help With an P Visa
An immigration lawyer at Dorsett & Zapata, PLLC can provide comprehensive advice on legal requirements for an P visa and can offer assistance with forms, paperwork, and documentation. We can also offer advice on dependents and support personnel of P visa holders and extensions of P status. Give us a call today to find out more.